Labs and facilities
The department has well established laboratories like Basic Electrical Engineering Lab, Networks Lab, Machines Lab(DC Machine Lab & AC Machine Lab), Power Electronics Lab, Power Systems Lab, Control & Instrumentation Lab and Simulation Lab.
The department provides the students with academic, extracurricular and other resources to help them assimilate the engineering principles and apply the same in tune with real applications. The students are encouraged to design and build a project of their choice in the final semester that helps them to apply the nuances of their theoretical principles with the practical aspects.
1 .Electrical Circuits lab
Individual components are used instead of modules to provide more conceptual knowledge of circuits and circuit analysis. C.R.O�s are used to study the output responses
1) Verification of Thevenin's and Norton's Theorems
2) Verification of Superposition theorem and Maximum Power Transfer Theorem
3) Verification of Compensation Theorem
4) Verification of Reciprocity , Millmann's Theorems
5) Locus Diagrams of RL and RC Series Circuits
6) Series and Parallel Resonance
7) Determination of Self, Mutual Inductances and Coefficient of coupling
8) Z and Y Parameters
9) Transmission and hybrid parameters
10) Measurement of Active Power for Star and Delta connected balanced loads
2. Electrical Machines Lab
All types of DC and AC machines of high ratings (3 KVA, 5 H.P) have been installed to create industrial environment and to give hands -on - experienceAll types of bridge circuits, meters and calibrating equipment for various measuring instruments have been installed.
1. Magnetization characteristics of DC shunt generator. Determination of critical field resistance and critical speed.
2. Load test on DC shunt generator. Determination of characteristics.
3. Brake test on DC shunt motor. Determination of performance curves.
4. Load test on DC compound generator. Determination of characteristics.
5. Hopkinson's test on DC shunt machines. Predetermination of efficiency.
6. Fields test on DC series machines. Determination of efficiency.
7. Swinburne's test and Predetermination of efficiencies as Generator and Motor
6. Speed control of DC shunt motor by Field and armature Control
9. Brake test on DC compound motor. Determination of performance curves.
10. Load test on DC series generator. Determination of characteristics.
11. Retardation test on DC shunt motor. Determination of losses
12. O.C. & S.C. Tests on Single phase Transformer
13 Sumpner's test on single phase transformers
14 Scott connection of transformers
15 No-load & Blocked rotor tests on three phase Induction motor
16 Regulation of a three -phase alternator by synchronous impedance & m.m.f. methods
17. V and Inverted V curves of a three-phase synchronous motor.
18 Equivalent Circuit of a single phase induction motor
19 Determination of Xd and Xq of a salient pole synchronous machine
3. Control Systems Lab
Control Systems lab is well established with all necessary equipment and systems. In addition, the laboratory is further developed by procuring temperature control with PID controller, Programmable Logic Controller with VERSAPRO and MATLAB software
1. Time response of Second order system
2. Characteristics of Synchros
3. Programmable logic controller - Study and verification of truth tables of logic gates, simple Boolean expressions and application of speed control of motor.
4. Effect of feedback on DC servo motor
5. Effect of P, PD, PI, PID Controller on a second order systems
6. Lag and lead compensation - Magnitude and phase plot
7. Transfer function of DC generator
8. Temperature controller using PID
4. Power Electronics Lab
All kinds of power modules along with necessary firing circuits are available.
1. Characteristics of SCR
2. Characteristics of IGBT
3. Characteristics of DIAC
4. Characteristics of TRIAC.
5. Characteristics of GTO
6. Study of Single - Phase Half and Fully controlled Bridge
7. Study of Single phase invertors using SCR's
8. D.C Motor speed control using Single phase Half converter
9. D.C Motor speed control using Single phase Full converter SCR Bridge.
10. Control the speed of a given single phase motor using SCR
11. Speed control of DC Motor using Chopper
12. Study of DIAC & TRIAC Lamp control.
13. Battery charger circuit using SCR
5. Power Systems Lab
This is an Additional Lab beyond JNTUK Curriculum of this Program. It contains electro-mechanical, numerical, static relays, three phase AC Motor protection relay test set up, Numerical over current relay, Numerical over / under voltage relay, Earth fault relay, over / under frequency relay, reverse power relay, negative sequence current relay are available to do experiments related to power systems and to give hands on experience on advanced protecting relays.
6. Simulation Lab
Electrical Simulation & Research Laboratory has 42 number Acer Desktop Systems (4 GB of RAM, 2nd Generation Processor), Dual Core Computers with internet & intranet facility and all the computers are connected with LAN.
Licensed software available